I started with this recipe, but wanted to use fresh green leafy vegetables instead of the dried ones. I also wanted to give it a bit more bite, so I added some fresh green chiles.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup sharp cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1/2 ounces pizza tomato sauce (I had this left over, but a similar amount of reduced tinned tomatoes works)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup frozen fresh basil
- 1/2 cup frozen fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring salt and water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes. Lentils are cooked once all water has been absorbed and the lentils have started to split and are soft.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl partially mash lentils and allow them to cool.
- Once lentils have cooled, mix in chopped onion, oats, egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, chiles, seasoning salt and pepper.
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Spoon into the lined loaf tin, ensuring that the top is smoothed flat.
- Bake at 175C (350F) for 40 minutes or until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes, and then turn load out onto a serving platter.