- 2 1/2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surfaces.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoon of lemon or lime juice
- 5 tablespoons (1/4 stick) of melted butter (2 for dough, 2 to top, 1 for pan)
- 2 tablespoons of Vegemite (well, to taste really!)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Adjust oven rack to middle-upper position and heat the oven to 425F (220C).
- Pour 1 tablespoon of melted butter into a 9-inch (23cm) nonstick cake pan and coat the bottom and sides with a pastry brush (or greaseproof paper).
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper into a large bowl.
- Whisk the milk, juice, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter in a measuring cup. If necessary, heat in microwave to keep butter melted.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients until it’s even.
- The dough will look very shaggy and be sticky.
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it’s just smooth and no longer shaggy. Do not over-knead.
- Pat the dough with your hands into a 12 inch (30cm) by 9 inch (23cm) rectangle. Make sure the thickness is reasonably even.
- Cover the dough with Vegemite.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the Vegemite.
- Starting with the long side, roll the dough into a log.
- Press the end side into the rest of the log to seal.
- Cut the log into 12 to 16 equal-sized scrolls.
- Place the scrolls into the prepared 9 inch (23cm) pan. They should fill the pan, but not be too tightly packed as they’ll rise a bit when baked.
- Sprinkle extra cheese across the top if desired (I didn’t do this in the picture above).
- Bake until the tops of the scrolls are golden brown, about 25 minutes (I tend to check after 20 minutes, if I don’t know the oven well).